Search This Blog

Labels

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Facebook is stealing your bank data

Why do I make this claim? Because my antivirus software says they are. At least they are making the attempt in my case.

I use Bitdefender Anti-virus 2015 for web protection. Starting about a month ago I activated the data protection module of the program and I was amazed at what I discovered. Especially in regards to Facebook.

Let me explain. The Data Protection module for Bitdefender is designed to stop any attempt by an outside source to get your computer to send private information, to that outside source. When setting up the Data Protection module, you define rules. Those rules are information you don't want to leave your computer when browsing the internet.

The rules I defined include my home address, zip code, phone number, city, social security number, bank routing number, bank account number, bank name, CV# on the back of my debit card, debit card number, PIN number for my debit card, etc., etc. You get the idea.

When an outside source requests any information you defined as one of your rules, Bitdefender prevents the outside source from obtaining information you do not want to leave your computer. It blocks the request by the outside source.

It can be quite a hassle if you are trying to purchase anything but you can temporarily disable the Data Protection module to make your purchase. When done making your online purchase, turn the module back on.

Today I logged into Facebook just to check things out and in less than five minutes Facebook attacked my computer 33 times. How do I know? Here's a screen shot of a notification by Bitdefender.
The attacking web page URL is www.facebook.com/ajax/growth/friend browser/checkbox.php.
The attack is invisible. No pop up window, no indication the web page has attacked my computer. The attack attempted to get my CV# for my debit card. Bitdefender prevented this information from leaving my computer

Here's another example.
This time the attacking URL was www.facebook.com/ajax/bz
Again, if it were not for the data protection module on Bitdefender, I would not have known that an attempt to obtain the PIN# of my debit card had been made by Facebook if Bitdefender had not notified me and prevented this information from leaving my computer.

These are just two examples out of 33 different attacks by Facebook in just five minutes after logging on with Facebook.  The entire list of rules I defined in the Data Protection module would be taken by Facebook if it were not prevented by Bitdefender.

I do not work for Bitdefender. I am not trying to sell Bitdefender. I'm just trying to point out that not all anti-virus software employs a data protection module. When you log onto Facebook, be aware of the invisible attack by Facebook on your computer. If they are doing it to me, they are doing it to you.

No comments: